You only have one chance to make a first impression. It’s a rule of thumb that applies to everything from meeting people, all the way to decorating. To make a great first impression when having guests over for the holidays, you need to make sure your home’s entryway is suitably dressed, and suitably stylish. This holiday season, take a different route and decorate your entryways with these fun and unique ideas!
The Stacked Outdoor Topiary
Greet your guests with fun Christmas decorations that you can make yourself! Instead of having a conventional topiary, use gift boxes for a refreshing take on an old classic. The hardest part of this project consists of wrapping the boxes, so if you’ve got that down, this project will be a breeze.
The materials you’ll need are:
• 3 boxes in different sizes
• Wrapping paper
• An ice pick
• Rebar (the length will depend on the size of the boxes)
• Your choice of pot or urn
• Sticky tape
• Other design elements you might want to decorate your boxes with, such as ribbons
Here’s how to do it:
1. First, poke a hole in each of the boxes for the rebar to run through. It will be much easier to create the holes before you wrap the boxes. If you want the gift boxes to be on a tilt, create the holes off center.
2. Next, wrap the boxes with the wrapping paper.
3. Before poking holes into the wrapped boxes, apply a bit of tape around the puncture site to prevent the wrapper from tearing. Apply ribbons and other pieces of décor you want using sticky tape.
4. Once the boxes are wrapped and ready, stack them on the rebar according to your liking.
5. Insert the rebar with the stacked boxes into your chosen pot or urn.
The Ornament Curtain
Have a fun and sparkly Christmas with this gorgeous ornament curtain. Hang some Christmas ornaments from any entryway you choose and delight your guests with a cheery play on light.
This beautiful project needs only the following:
• Christmas ornaments of your choice
• Fabrics of your choice, such as tulle
If you want to steer clear of the more traditional Christmas colors, such as red and green, you may use silver or gold Christmas ornaments. Pick crystal, clear, and glittery ornaments and hang them on strips of tulle and other complementary fabrics. This would look great in the entryway to the room where your Christmas tree is located because the metallic ornaments will reflect and catch the light of your tree, casting a magical glow on your celebration.
The Christmas Card Doorway
Put your past and present Christmas cards to good use by turning them into unique decorations for your doorway!
• Christmas cards!
Once you’ve gotten your cards together, you can wedge or stick them around the doorway of your choice. Not only will they give your entryway a splash of color, they’re also a great way to showcase cards from your friends and loved ones, especially if they sent cards that they made themselves.
The Marshmallow Curtain
To add a whimsical touch to any entryway this Christmas, hang strings of marshmallows from doorways or arches and create your own wintry wonderland indoors.
You will need the following materials:
• A needle
• Embroidery thread, or any other strong thread
• Sticky tape
If you’re worried about making a mess or having your décor stick to your guests, you can use cotton balls instead of marshmallows. In fact, you can use any material that you think best resembles snow.
All you need to do is:
1. Put the marshmallows/cotton in a bowl for easy access.
2. Cut the thread into your desired lengths.
3. Create a knot at the end of each thread.
4. Thread the needle.
5. Thread a marshmallow/piece of cotton down to the end.
6. Repeat until you get the look you want.
7. Hang the finished threads along your desired entryway with small bits of sticky tape.
What your guests see upon arriving at your home is just as important as what they see when they get inside. If you want to see more unexpected and untraditional decorating items, check out our colorful wreaths and garlands! Is there a particular way you like decorating your doors and entrances during the holiday season? Let us know in the comments!by